Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Half-Life 2: Wow!

These days I don't have time for playing games on my PC, what with keeping the kids entertained and all the other grown up stuff that goes on. But I recently got the Half-Life 2 bug, and I think it may develop into full blow flu.

I loved the original game, and have followed the development of the sequel with great interest. Its interesting for me, being involved in software development, to see that companies such as Valve have the exact same problems we do when developing new software. There is a great article on Gamespot that covers the history of the development of HL2. Its well worth a read and covers the development from the conception to the broken promises of release dates (and believe me I know how that feels), to the theft of the code ( Gabe Newells attempt to the hacker into in to the US to have him arrested is fantastic ), to the final triumphant thrashing of the piƱata (which I have to say is a lovely idea, as is the point where the whole company stopped work for a week to play the game as it neared completion!).

Read it here: The Final Hours of Half-Life 2

So, on the 16th November 2004 Half-Life 2 was unleashed on an expectant world. I resisted for all of 5 days, until Sunday.
I purchased a copy and everything you may have heard or read about the quality of the game is true. It really is an amazing achievement. I won't go into any detail, its all over the web. All I can say is I better be very careful in the next week or two, my marriage could suffer if I'm not!

No comments: